Monday, May 16, 2011

Day 9 in Chile: Horseback Riding!



Today is Monday, May 16 2011 and we went to Ritoque Expediciones. To be honest, this was the best day I have had so far in Chile! The weather was perfect for horseback riding because it was humid, but not too hot. My horse’s name was Galguay and he was absolutely beautiful! I ended up with one of the larger horses and right when I got on him, he would not cooperate. He was biting other horses in the butt before we even left for our long journey. At one point, he decided that he wanted to get some water and not listen to me, so we walked over to get a drink, which I wasn’t supposed to let him do. When I pulled on the reins, he just flew his head around and decided to ignore me. After a little, we bonded and I let him do what he wanted, which happened to be getting in front of the horses that were behind us. If horses behind us ran to try to get ahead of us, he would run and push to stay in front of them. We traveled for a long time through completely different regions of land. We ran on the beach, through water, in a dessert area with sand dunes, and through an area like the plains. This experience was amazing and in most areas it was not along a specific path. When we were traveling on the sand dunes, my horse charged up and down the hills. The first time we went up the hill, he scared me because I did not expect him to just run up it. At another point, my horse and Chris’s horse charged down a hill and up another one at the same time and we were in pain from bouncing up and down. Sometime in the middle of our journey, we stopped for a snack of freshly cut pineapple and some water. The pineapple was so delicious and sweet. When I was off my horse, I was petting him and he bowed his head down. It was so cute. On our way back, we were traveling along the beach and my horse wanted to be closer to the front when everyone else started trotting, so he tore off a little quicker than I expected. I loved when he ran along the beach. After our horse ride, we came back to an amazing and huge barbeque of chicken, sausage, steak, and pork. I had sausage and chicken with salad and rice. It was one of the best lunches I have had here in Chile. After barbeque, we came back to the hotel and took showers. Sarah and I went outside and ended up watching an amazing sunset on the beach. Afterwards, I added all my horse pictures to Facebook and then we went to check out the supermarket. Once a few hours passed, we went to a pub. The horseback riding seems to have everyone sore already, so we will see how we all feel tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment